28 August 2012

Glad I am over that


Back in my high school days all those years ago, I had to take ten subjects in SPM. Eleven subjects including the English 1119. SPM is the big examination in high school final year, the equivalent of O Level.

I have no delusion about my capability, hardworking got me a respectable margin above average, but I am no cream of the crop material. And I am perfectly fine with that.

Being active in extracurriculum was a crucial part of my high school life, some of the best times of my life happened then, and most of my closest friends are the ones from high school.

SPM was important, but I wasn't willing to completely forsake my extracurriculum activities. Hey, I ain't that nerdy! =P

But I ain't no superman either, I couldn't handle eleven subjects while still stayed as active as I was in extracurriculum activities. So I made an important decision. Well, important then, when all I needed to worry about was study.

I decided to give up on what I considered useless subjects: Moral Study and History.

Abandoned Moral Study because my parents have raised me good and proper (thanks mommi & pappi! =D ), I don't need no Moral Study to teach me what's right and proper. I did just fine in SPM (credit) without touching the textbook much, if at all.

Abandoned History because it's a pure memory test, and my memory sucks. Also I perceived no value in this subject. History, like my blog, is subjective, it all depends on who wrote the damn thing!

Trust me, the history of, say, the Vietnam War, will be very different depending on whether you read a history book from Vietnam or USA. =)

I fully expected to fail History in SPM, as I didn't study it at all and I failed all my internal exams. Either my 'the-day-before' last minute glance through was so very effective, or it's simply sheer dumb luck, I not only passed my History in SPM, I got a high credit as well.

Really "laugh die me". =D

So, when I heard in the radio this morning that some smart arse is making History a compulsory and must pass subject to pass SPM, similar to the Malay language subject, I am mightily glad my SPM days were ancient history. =P

Still, bollocks to the smart arse who suggested that!



If only I knew how limited the usefulness of the Malay language is outside of Malaysia, I wouldn't have bothered spending that much effort on it. Oh, I would learn it still since it's my national language after all, just wouldn't have given it that much of my time and effort.


2 comments:

HoneyBee said...

pitty the future generations... what has our education system become?

Anonymous said...

…that was good luck

William boy