18 January 2010

Impressed


Today being the replacement holiday for Sultan of Kedah's birthday for all who work in ulu place, I got the chance to run some errands while the majority of the Penangites are working.

Went to the bank wanting to withdraw some cash in new notes for the coming Chinese New Year but was told new notes will only be available next month, meh.

Went to Tesco wanting to get soya formula for my elder son, milk for my wife, and nappy for my younger son, but all still sold out as they were yesterday, meh. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow.

At least I achieved the third and last errand though, collected my younger son's MyKid card (identification card for young ones) and was actually pleased with the efficiency of the relevant government department. I think this is the first time I am actually pleased with the efficiency of my government in anything, as previously it's only the income tax department that's efficient in taking the tax payer money (but not in refunding excess, of course).

I arrived and duly took my number, expecting to be waiting for a long while before my turn but was surprised to see I was actually the second in line. Well, in my specific line anyway as I was in the collecting line, while everyone else were waiting for the application line.

Giving the benefit of doubt and assuming the one before me had just been called, I estimated that it should take about 15 minutes at most for a simple collection process. Just for the heck of it I started my stop watch.

I was rather surprised when my number was called after just 7 minutes, I was therefore suitably impressed.

Since I like to make things easy for everyone, I already had all the relevant documents in hand and in order so I just handed them over after I greeted the receptionist (whom didn't have the manner to response). The receptionist checked the documents, proceeded to look for the MyKid card, and handed it to me. I am at the counter for 3 minutes top.

Wonder why the person before me had to use twice as long but oh well, I was just glad I got my errand done in a timely manner so I deposited my number ticket in the "excellent" box for the receptionist, even though she didn't say anything in response to my parting thank you.

This efficiency in the government is so rare that it warrants an entry so I will not wake up tomorrow and think I have dreamt it. =)

This is a genuine compliment and is not my usual sarcasm, honest*.



* original collection date was 29 November 2009, called and being told it's not ready so collect in December. Called again in December and was told still not ready so collect in January. Called in January and woohoo, it's ready! Still, at least the efficiency at the collection counter is recommendable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember collecting my daughter's mykid in less than 3mins and the makcik was vely polite. -ryan

CK said...

That's (the politeness) the difference between handsome customer and ugly customer lor...

Have only myself to blame. =P

Another good efficiency observed today at JPJ Kulim, done in 15 minutes from entering to leaving, about 4th or 5th in the queue, driving license renewal. Several counters were opened and near lunch time.