19 October 2019

Funny naming convention


Had a funny WhatsApp group conversation a few days back, where a typo turned into a hilarious naming convention.

Usually, I would just save screenshots of the conversation and post them as one of the 'Backlogs' series some time in the future.

Like in a few months, or more likely, after a few years.

But anyway, while I did the screenshots, I simply don't see how I can post them and still retain a meaningful entry without exposing the friends involved.

And yea, I started to be privacy conscious a few years back so I am not about to change that for one entry, hilarious though it may be.

So here I am, trying to reproduce the gist of that conversation without exposing any identity.

Don't blame me if smart people figured it out ya...


Let me just start with what I said more than a decade ago, that you should really question the identity of the person you think is me whom you are having an instant messaging conversation with when he does not make any typo.

Because making typos is like, my speciality. =P

So there I was, typing away on my observation that the people in the same group as one of my colleague friends seem to become the same body shape as that colleague friend...

And well, 'I' and 'O' being next to each other on Qwerty keyboard, I made a typo of the colleague's name, keyed 'O' where it should have been 'I'.

Another colleague friend with his unique sense of humour caught the typo and asked if I purposely changed the 'I' in the name to 'O' to symbolise growing horizontally?

To which we laughed, and sparked a new naming convention since so coincidentally all those in the chat group have either 'I' or 'O' or both in our names.

It's also doubly funny because the typo'd name I made also happens to have the right meaning in Hokkien. =P

I hope you have friends who have 'I' and/or 'O' in their names, then you can use this naming convention for laugh.

It's straight forward really:

(1) if we maintain our body size, we use our name

(2) if we become fatter, we replace the 'I' in the name with 'O'

(3) if we grow fatter still, or if there's no 'I' but only 'O' in the name, we add an additional 'O'

(4) similarly, if we become thinner, we replace the 'O' in the name with 'I'

(5) and if we become thinner still, or if there's no 'I' in the name, we take away the 'I', meaning you lose the 'I' character in the name

It's really simple but in case you are unclear, here are some examples:

Adrian Wong becomes fatter, he becomes Adroan Woong.

Adroan Woong becomes fatter still, he becomes Adrooan Wooong.

Adroan Woong slims down, he becomes Adrian Wong.

Adrian Wong slims down further, he becomes Adran Wing.

Now go have some laughters. =P



Other |nutty nuts| category entries.


No comments: