04 December 2012

Random Thoughts


They must have forgotten to send me the 'slacker day' memo, for by lunch time, of my usual lunch gang, there were only me and Mr Pork Leg in the office.

The nerve! Missing out slacker extraordinaire on 'slacker day' memo, that's just so wrong. Karma -1 for all of you!

=P

Anyway, Mr Pork Leg and I walked to the other site for lunch, as Pork Leg said the food there is better.

He would know, as he has higher requirements when it comes to food and dining. You know, exquisite and expensive taste, something like that. Okay okay, that's just my polite way of saying he is picky. =P

Those who know him will know this is not baseless accusation, and those who know me will know I am just stating as it is, no blemishing. And no I am not judging.

Nothing wrong with enjoying fine dining, having high expectation for food and cuisine. It's not for 'cheap' people like me, cheap taste and lean wallet, but each to his or her own.

What surprised me though, was the chat after the meal. You see, Mr Pork Leg is still single with many girlfriends and has been working longer than I do, so he can afford the fine and expensive dining, and other expensive hobbies or expenditures.

I did not expect him to understand and empathise with people in my situation and lifestyle. I am the sole bread earner for a family of four, I started working late in life so my income is still rather pathetic. My wife and I are no strangers to simple and frugal lifestyle, we are well accustomed to it for all the years we spent in England.

But he does. He probably never experienced simple and frugal lifestyle but he does understand.

Though I have to say I am not a big fan of fine and expensive dining not just because of cost, but I honestly prefer the good old hawkers' food, they taste so good! So I guess I just have 'cheap' taste. =P

That said, I can never understand just what value for money is perceived by those who go for a coffee costing more than what I normally spend for my entire lunch, or some funky drink that costs two or three of my usual meals worth. Because it's trendy? Because of the ambiance? Because it's the 'in' and 'cool' thing to do?

Maybe it has nothing to do with value for money, I just have to be rich enough to appreciate such luxury. =P

I have to express how lucky and blessed I am to have found a woman who is sticking with me, living in such lifestyle, who is not materialistic and not the high maintenance type, who shares the same values and who believes in giving our children the best we can offer - a full time mum.

The kids love their mum lots, and in lesser degree love me too, I hope. Thank you wifey, for nurturing such a loving family (and for everything!). We are not wealthy, but we are rich in our own way. =)

I do hope that if we ever become wealthy, please go shopping more and spend more on yourself!


No comments: