17 June 2012

21 days is a long time


Started an experiment slightly less than two weeks ago. I wasn't the gung ho one who committed this in front of everyone, but I am sadly the lowly cheap labour being assigned to get my hands dirty and make it happen.

It's not like this is the first time anyway. Really. If only my tai chi is good, or I am also one of those 'talkers'. Honest worker can't prosper it seems.

Oh well, knew all along there is a downside to upholding my principles.

Anyway, experiment went smoothly for a week then it started to go haywire. Not surprised, and it's nothing I couldn't handle. Yet.

Mind, it's a 24/7 experiment for 21 days straight, I would be surprised if it went without a hiccup or two. As the experiment nearing the end of the first week, I had to give the system a kick or two to keep things going.

At the beginning of the second week I had to conduct full day training for three days straight. Yes yes, I know, it boggles the mind that I am a trainer. Sometimes I find it hard to believe as well. =P

So the other unfortunate colleague who got assigned to run this shit lovely experiment had to take over. He is a good bloke really, but his experience in the system is somewhat limited.

And of course Murphy's Law had to strike then, in the morning when I started my class, the experiment went belly up. The colleague tried his best, I am sure he did. He took the initiative to seek help troubleshooting while I was not available, it's a pity he didn't get the right person.

So the experiment went down for three days until I was done with the training and was able to go have a look. After a quick check I realised the root cause wasn't what the colleague suspected, it's something beyond my capability. But I know which expert to call, so the experiment was up and running again later that day.

Darn you Murphy! If only you picked a time when I wasn't otherwise engaged.

Ever since this experiment started, I had been checking my e-mails every night on weekdays, before I go to sleep. On weekends, work e-mail is the first thing I check as soon as I wake up, then again after lunch, and the usual before sleep.

This is totally ruining my slacker reputation! =\

Oh, and the non-existent work/life balance.

Saw the dreaded 'system down' e-mail this morning. I covered last weekend so this weekend is under my colleague's care, but I figured I better go get it sorted out so that's exactly what I did.

I have no life whatsoever. >_<

You know, 21 days suddenly felt like such a long time. I am really looking forward to the end of this experiment. Still a tad more than a week to go, another weekend.

And I could really use a karaoke session after that.


No comments: