29 January 2009

Book Review (Jan 09)


Read seven novels since last review.

Given my gold fish memory, I have forgoten most of what I read, so here's whatever I manage to remember. =P

-----

Four Blind Mice by James Patterson


image source

I think my better half has bought this book quite a few years back, I never bothered to read it thinking it was some mushy romance girly novel.

It's Black Market, another book by the same author that I read a while ago that made me realised Mr Patterson writes nothing girly at all, he writes manly stuff!

Know what's better? He writes page-turning fantastic manly thriller!

Four blind mice is not the fairy tale of little girl with her pet mice that I thought it was, it's about the action-filled investigation by detective Alex Cross of his closest friend's friend's (not a typo, it's really friend of Alex's friend) framed murder case.

Alex is pitched against three highly skilled killing machines who are backed by military authorities. Great read and as far as I can remember, no mouse was harmed in the story line.

-----

The Rise of Solamnia trilogy by Douglas Niles


image source

Back to my favourite fantasy world of Krynn, the world of Dragonlance. The Rise of Solamnia's story line happened after the War of Souls and it centred on Jaymes Markham, a knight turned fugutive turned knight turned emperor.


image source

The story of the rise and fall and redemption of Jaymes spanned across the three novels: Lord of the Rose, The Crown and the Sword, and The Measure and the Truth.


image source

Magic, swords, shields, pikes, cannons, battles, castles, sieges, romance, love potion, corruption, deceptions, et cetera. What's not to like?

-----

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman


image source

This is the last volume in His Dark Materials trilogy, and it's a reread for me, the only reread out of the seven novels this time round.

His Dark Materials trilogy is a great read, the movie version is nothing compared to the novels, as usual for movies made from novels. Probably the only acceptable exception is The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and even that, the novels are still better.

I won't go into detail about this novel specifically since His Dark Materials trilogy is a complex piece of work. I will say though it's a great read and fantasy genre lover should definately go through the trilogy.

This is my second or third time through this book and still the same paragraph gave me a pause and the urge to quote:

"I used to be a nun, you see. I thought physics could be done to the glory of God, till I saw there wasn't any God at all and that physics was more interesting anyway. The Christian religion is a very powerful and convincing mistake, that's all."

Bold words from Mr Pullman, I like it.

-----

Judge & Jury by James Patterson and Andrew Gross


image source

Another great read from Patterson (and Gross). I love the short chapter style, a few pages per chapter, short, to the point. If I ever write a novel (hey, one can dream!), I have to remember to use this style.

Judge & Jury is about a caught mobster who hired killer to kill all the juries so he won't get convicted. The one and only jury who survived a bus bombing murder attempt was a mother who lost her son in the bombing.

The mobster later escaped and the mother went after him with the help of a detective. There is romance thrown in between the detective and the mother, with hot steamy sex scenes (not really, just my imagination).

Gripping story line, fantastic thriller.

-----

Mandrake by Paul Eddy


image source

Another thriller, kind of like James Bond only instead of Bond, it's Flint. Grace Flint to be precise, a beautiful heroine thanks to the miracle of plastic surgery.

Story is about an operation to trap a financial manipulator that went horribly wrong, with Flint determined to track down the person responsible for the cock up as well as dishing her form of justice.

Absorbing plots of undercover, deceptions, double agents, spies, treachery and all those goody goody stuff that makes great thriller.



currently reading: Dead Man Riding by Gillian Linscott

No comments: