27 February 2013

I'll be back (2)


In this series: |part 1|

All photos in this series are presented as photographed, unless otherwise specified, the only image manipulations done were resize, crop and adding watermark.

-----

February theme for The Light Room, that's the group for photography enthusiasts I started early this year, is Speed.

The person who set the theme this month said Speed, not Motion, but I interpreted it as motion anyway and got my grey matter working on possible motion shots. =P

I narrowed down to three techniques to try: (1) panning, (2) rear curtain sync, and (3) zoom burst.

panning = not easy

In terms of difficulty, for me, zoom burst is the easiest, followed by rear curtain sync, and panning being the toughest.

I am only sharing 3 out of ~200 shots, imagine my failure rate =P

When the February theme was set, I still had the borrowed DSLR with me for another weekend, so I capitalised on that and spent a day testing my panning skill, and the other on rear curtain sych.

well at least I made a genuine attempt at honing my panning skill

I dropped zoom burst because it's more like induced motion effect instead of genuine motion. Might well be because I didn't really put much thought to it in the first place, probably could have tried zoom burst with moving object.

I went about my rear curtain sych shots like a still life, giving myself maximum control

Anyway, panning turned out... crap. =P

Took near to 200 shots (thank you digital!) and didn't really have any that I am really pleased with. Background, foreground, subject, composition, just don't really like them for all the panning shots, so I had to make my rear curtain sync attempts count.

I actually had a few decent shots to choose from

I ended up submitting one of my rear curtain sych shots, took me 59 shots before I am happy with what I got.

this is the final photo I selected



All original work on this site is copyright C.K. Goh and may not be copied or reprinted without my express written approval.


No comments: