19 January 2024

Had better days


My simulation throughput has dropped significantly after the team that owns the powerful computing resources withdrew the resource.

Crippling along is how I would describe my thermal simulation progress nowadays.

So it's no surprise at all that I have been working overtime consecutively, since losing the resource to run multiple cases in parallel means I have to babysit the simulation to minimise the time in between runs.

Anyway, I have not been idle. I have been seeking out computing resources that I can use and so far have gotten access to another shared server to run simulation, and soon I will also get another workstation from colleague who had left the company.

So ya, while I do rant like a grumpy old man (I have never denied that), I also actively look for solution.

Anyway, after 130+ simulation cases on one of the projects I am working on, another colleague is complaining today why there are still change requests because of thermal? That the colleague is supposed to be working on another project that is starting. Why the request is not earlier in the project timeline?

Ah, the luxury of working on one project only, of dropping from one completely before starting on the other. I envy that. Wish for the same too, really, but know that's just a pipe dream in this group.

But anyway, it would really pissed me off if the colleague is implying that I have been slacking. You know, I would be a happy bunny if the big boss accepted the solution path I presented in the meeting this morning, the solution that does not require your part to change. And it's not like I have not been highlighting this concern, if you have been paying attention to the past few updates I shared in the project meeting, you would have known about the change that requested by the program manager today is one of the many things I have assessed and shared. Your reluctance to accept it as an option because it requires more effort on your part doesn't make the solution less effective, and definitely does not mean I have not been diligently doing my part to find the best possible cooling solution.

And really, project cooling capability target is getting more and more ridiculous. Initially I thought that the next project that is starting (yes, I am in that too and already been requested to provide results...) is going to be the one that I finally fail to achieve the ridiculous cooling capability target. Now perhaps this project is the one instead of the next, since the solution path that I painstakingly assessed and produced, is being casually rejected because, well, I am supposed to be able to break the laws of physics...

Ya, guess it's time for me to fail spectacularly so they will stop expecting me to perform miracle. Okay, hubris is a sin, so I should say time for me to fail so they can get someone more capable to realize their lofty pulled out of thin air target.

It has seriously been sucky these few weeks, had better. Much better.



Other |runaway rants| category entries.


No comments: