31 May 2014

Overhaul


This is really just a record for my future reference, drafted 19th of May, when it happened.

My brother-in-law and a few of my colleagues bought new car this year. Upgrading to bigger or grander vehicle. Perhaps a better reflection of their grade level and income? =)

Have to admit that my interest got piqued, albeit just a little, and I spent about half an hour browsing for sporty looking car. This happened in early March this year.

For the record, I am not crazy about car, I just think of it as something that gets me from A to B and back really.

Oh, this led to another note I took in March about mid-life crisis. ^_^

So there I was looking at stylish sporty car, when the thought hit me whether my sudden interest has anything to do with mid-life crisis since, well, I am almost at that stage of my life.

And buying luxury or expensive car is one of the ways people deal with mid-life crisis. A quick browse on the internet, then a brief instant messaging session with finance minister, a.k.a. wifey, checking on our bank balance and financial status pretty much sealed the thought...

...I simply cannot afford to have mid-life crisis! >_<

Oh well.

Anyway, let's get back to the main topic. =P

I don't really want to change my MyVi, honestly. It has served me well all these years and the fuel consumption is still 15 to 16 kilometres per litre. And of course, it's not an expense that I can justify, not to mention that MyVi suits my grade level and salary better. =)

But seven years took its tolls on my faithful car, the bearings, especially the front ones, were damaged. It's actually something I noticed for quite some months already, just never got the chance to get them fixed.

Until the 19th of May, when my day ended earlier due to teambuilding event.


I ended up changing all four bearings. Getting the front bearings out took a longer time, and involved more banging and brute force than I anticipated.

how many people to remove a bearing? One to hold, one to hammer, and one to supervise

Also changed two tyres, the front wheels disc brake pads and the rear absorbers.


All those plus alignment, balancing and labour cost totalled to RM1325. Ouch.

But still a lot of cheaper compared to getting a new car. =P


No comments: