17 December 2013

Help if you can, if not, tell


It hasn't been smooth sailing work wise lately. More like being stuck in a maelstrom really. Outright chaotic.

Coupled with my lousy stress management skill, it's no surprise that I have not been a happy bunny lately.

Frustrating.

Verily.

Anyway, not writing about that, but about the random requests for help I got, which I rendered, and a subsequent comment I made.

Probably doesn't mean much when I say I am busy, since, well, everyone is busy nowadays. -_-

Anyway, let's just say that at times I really need to put in that extra effort to not explode and determination to not swear to set aside whatever frustrating stuff I am doing to entertain a random request for help or information.

When I say random, I meant stuff that's not really under my job scope or responsibility, but of which I happened to know about somewhat.

Yes it took away some time from my rather hectic and loaded work hours, but I helped where I could, and directed to someone who could when I couldn't, or at least replied I haven't a clue nor know who has a clue when that's the case.

When a colleague found out I was just being nice in trying to help out but it's really not under my role and responsibility, and thanked me for it, here's what I said, and I meant it.

"Just remember to be like this when you are experienced, became the senior, and being approached for help. Help if you can, if cannot, direct to someone who can help if you know. Don't just ignore, at least reply if you really can't help and haven't a clue who can. Or that you are busy and need some time to get back. And do get back to it."

Yea I know, it sounds like a rant.

It's probably because I have encountered more than my fair share of snobs who simply ignored my mail and request, and interestingly would respond when someone with higher grade or higher up in the hierarchy relayed the exact same question on my behalf.

It's especially blood-boiling when it's about stuff under their responsibility, and yet they ignored me until it's escalated, which I hate to do.

Darn arseholes.


No comments: