06 December 2013

Re-cultured


Hearing a colleague addressed another using 'dear' today, and feeling a bit odd about it, made me realised I have readjusted to my home culture.

Everyone used to be called a 'dear' when I was in England. Friends, lecturers, even friendly looking strangers. Hi dear! Dear Steve. Yes dear?

And being hugged by a lady friend was not at all strange, in fact it's nice and actually quite a warm and endearing gesture. Almost always it's the lady friend who initiated the hug though, guess I am just shy.

I remember the very first time being hugged by a lady friend, one of wifey's British friends. I was surprised, a bit embarrassed, but like it nevertheless.

Oh, I remember hugging a Malaysian friend who was also studying overseas when we chance to bump into each other in the airport, it's just so natural and we did that without even thinking. That's after we have been in England for a few years.

The hugging culture is pretty alive in my family, but I wouldn't think of hugging any lady friend here in Malaysia now. It doesn't feel... right. And I don't want to be slapped or be sued for sexual harassment! =P

And my e-mails start with 'Hello [name]' or 'Hi [name]' instead of 'Dear [name]' now. Feel as if I have become less warm and less friendly, meh!

A friend said my elder son speaks with a British accent, though that's when she last talked to him, which has been a while. I remember that too, as when we just got back, wifey had a strong British accent after all those years she worked in the hospital, and the elder son picked up that accent.

But his English has been 'Malaysianised' over the years as well. Guess we have all been re-cultured, oh well.


No comments: