01 October 2012

Fever & parenthood


Bedridden for 36 hours straight, with perhaps 1 hour off the bed for showers, dinner and bio-breaks.

True zombie like.

Body temperature higher than 39 degree Celsius is when I had to be bedbound. High of 38 degree Celsius I am already aching all over muscles and joints. What made this time worse was the constant dull headache that persisted throughout, painkiller or not.

At least the painkiller took away the muscles and joints aches.

Wifey wanted to rush me to hospital A&E late yesterday night when the temperature still hovered near to 40 degree Celsius an hour after taking the medicine. I stubbornly refused because there was no one to look after the kids, who had gone to sleep then and I just don't like to visit a doctor. I am strange like that.

Good thing the temperature dropped soon after, else I probably had to go see a doctor, like it or not. Probably by calling a cab or asking a neighbour for a lift.

I guess the one good thing about being sick is that I get wifey to look after me, which is a nice feeling. You know, someone cares. Wifey being a trained nurse is just icing on the cake.

Body temperature dropped to low 38 degree Celsius range in the afternoon today, so I was finally up. Unfortunately, Young got the fever.

We started seeing spots on him late in the evening so wifey decided to see a doctor. Hsiang has school tomorrow so it's up to me to shower him and get him to bed.

Only my temperature went up to high 38 degree Celsius again so I took the medicine, rested a bit while he watched television. At 7:00pm we went upstairs for his shower, then his story, his milk, and accompanying him until he fell asleep. It wouldn't be trying at all if not for the return of that damnable dull headache.

But you know what? Sitting in the dark, massaging my temple and watching him falling asleep, I had a great sense of achievement. This is what parenthood is about.

For them, I can endure.



When I lamented about being sick and generally behaving like a baby in front of wifey, questioning why I have fallen sick without any apparent reason. Wifey simply said,

"You are cursed, you always fall sick whenever you apply for annual leave."

Good grief. The leave hasn't even started, and this time I apply leave to work, dammit!

=(


No comments: