24 July 2023

Rebuilt SoulBot-V


Spent the past weekend rebuilding my 5th computer.

Moved that computer to the lounge when I somehow managed to revived it after I received my current 7th computer.

Good thing too, since some time after that, the 6th computer bought for wifey to use decided to die on us. Refused to power on so took it to a computer shop and was told the culprit is the motherboard.

Well, beyond my skillset to fix and wifey said she is okay using my 5th computer, which, being a gaming machine, is way over-qualified for her net surfing and drama watching usage model. =P

Pretty sure the computer will still be working just fine if net surfing and drama watching were the only things it does.

Unfortunately that computer is also used by the children for gaming. Actually nothing wrong with computer gaming, it's a gaming rig after all, the problem is the elder son cannot just play tried and tested bought games, or free games from trustworthy company like StarCraft from Blizzard.

Just had to go downloaded whatever free games that strikes his fancy without a care about safety and security, which eventually filled the computer with so much junks and nasty stuff that slowed the computer to a crawl most of the time.

His solution is to spend a few thousands that he doesn't have to buy a new computer, when we said no his alternate solution is to buy a new hard disk as he is convinced it's a hardware problem.

I know there's nothing wrong with the hard disk, that it's not a hardware problem but a software problem. It's all the nasty stuff he has downloaded that couldn't be properly uninstalled or deleted, which left something behind running in background bogging the computer down.

The elder son does not listen. Period. He thinks he is always right and if people do not follow his wants and whims, he turns nasty and throws tantrum.

So after I am done telling him what I think, which got his look of disdain in return, I decided to just go ahead and rebuild the computer. Formatting the hard disk will definitely get rid of all the nasty stuff he downloaded.

It's just that rebuilding the computer takes time, and I have precious few personal time lately, would have much preferred to use my weekend to rest, or to play the new Diablo IV season.

But I did it anyway, and the computer is working wonderfully now. I showed the kids the indicators in the task manager, not sure if they understand, but they should be able to see the obvious difference in the start up and shut down time.

No gratitude from the elder son, just more scorn, because I told him to not download any of his games just yet, and let the other family members experience this wonderful computing for at least a week.

I guess it's just a matter of time before I have to rebuild the computer again.



Other |hyped up heads up| category entries.


No comments: