29 May 2022

SoulBot-VII


My 7th computer, also known as my gaming machine, has arrived on 26th of May.

I was rather busy so I only have time to power it on and start setting it up today. The operative word is 'start', for after the whole afternoon and evening I am still not done.

Dell XPS 8950

Since I do not have a loaner chip this time round, and the graphics card being so expensive except from OEM prebuilt systems, I went with Dell XPS 8950.

It has 12th Gen Intel Core i7 with 16GB DDR5 4400MHz (2x 8GB), 512GB M.2 class40 SSD and 1TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive. It comes with Windows 11 Home.

 huge tower of heatsink

A huge block of aluminium heatsink is used on the CPU, but it doesn't have a dedicated fan, relying instead on air flow from casing fans. Not how I would do it but hey, what do I know about desktop cooling?

the critical component - the graphics card

Being a gaming machine, naturally the graphics card is important. I opted for nVidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti with 8GB GDDR6, initially thinking of 3070 but really the games I play do not need very powerful graphics card, the 3060 is already way overkill.

Here's hoping this system will last me many many years, like 10 years or more.



Other |hyped up heads up| category entries.


No comments: