17 December 2011

Luck & I


Departmental annual dinner tonight, food quality was so so, though the quantity was insufficient. Good thing I didn't remain a gentleman and went queuing up half way through (I was hungry!). Pity those who let the others went first.

Wonder why the committee asked for our food preference? They published the list to the whole department so everyone knows who the vegetarians are, which is harmless but apparently they didn't make use of the information in a more appropriate way. My vegetarian colleague ended up having to pick the vegetables from various mixed dishes to get her dinner. =\

Also, the emcee cracked some real cold jokes to siok sendiri. Good thing there was that fantastic lady singer, if only I could sing as well as her.

Anyway, I went to the annual dinner for one reason only: lucky draw.

=P

I so desperately want one of the first two prizes, the Acer Aspire S3 ultrabook.

Not for myself, mind you, it's for wifey since her netbook has gone down and despite my attempts, the netbook can no longer function properly.

The published attendance list says 187 people accepted the dinner invitation, and the actual number of attendance was pretty close to that despite the rain. I guess the lucky draw prizes were very tempting. =P

There were 137 prizes, 130 of them were consolation prizes and the remaining 7 were the "real" prizes. Basically 73% of those attending would get a prize, assuming all 187 people turned up. Probably easier to say there were 50 unlucky people than to say there were 137 lucky winners...

The consolation prizes, according to draw sequence:
40 x water bottle
40 x food container set
10 x recycle bag + photo frame
10 x towel
10 x umbrella
05 x t-shirt
10 x wireless mouse
05 x headset

Funny how we all didn't want our number to show up during this phase. =P There were those who were not happy to get a prize, heh! Well, at least during the consolation prize drawing.

Of course they might have thought differently if they knew they would be the 50 unlucky ones...

The "real" prizes:
5th prize (x3): 1TB portable harddisk
4th prize: Samsung Galaxy W smartphone
3rd prize: Samsung Galaxy Tab
1st prize (x2): Acer Aspire S3 ultrabook

I never won any lucky draw in my life, hence the previous entry. Well, I am not beneath asking for help when I know my luck sucks! =P

Thanks to the one who left a comment wishing me luck, and those in the closed group in Facebook, I finally won something in lucky draw!

Though the good luck wishes were not powerful enough to propel me all the way to the ultrabook, they didn't even got me to the wireless mouse or the headset, which I have real need for.

I got the food container set. 17 containers to be exact. Err... wifey, how about 17 containers instead of 1 ultrabook?

Well, at least it's something. I would not be surprised if I was one of the 50 who didn't get anything. Honestly. So thank you to those who had sincerely wished me luck. =)

Now I just have to figure out how to get that darn netbook to work. >_<





siok sendiri = Malay for entertaining oneself

No comments: