17 October 2009

Life's a Blur


Only when everyone has gone to sleep will I have a stretch of time to get some of my own things done. Like work, and writing blog.

It has been a flurry of activities from the moment I wake up till late at night for the past few days, there are just so many things to do. I find myself thinking of the next task while doing the current one, not very good since I suck at multitasking and mind "phasing out" while driving to the hospital is not funny.

This will likely be a jumbled up entry where I just jot down whatever flows through my mind.

The numerous drives to and fro hospital. Cook for and feed Hsiang. Cook for self. Wash the dishes. Laundry, well, the washing machine does the washing, I only do the loading, unloading, hanging and unhanging. Interesting now that I think of it, I don't remember folding the dried clothes. Bath and cloth Hsiang. Signed numerous bills. Liaison with the confinement lady. Chauffeuring people around. Grocery shopping. Special confinement food ingredient shopping. Adjusted the cot for Young. Car seat for Young. Prepare and cook the drink for wifey. Fetching and carrying stuff around, the number of times I go up and down the stairs, good grief. Clean and wash Hsiang's potty. Clean and change Hsiang when he wet his pants instead of using the potty. Comforting Young when he cries. Making sure the house has boiled drinking water. Sort out Young's birth certificate and MyKid card. Entertain Hsiang. Answering the many phone calls. IT support so wifey's netbook has the softwares she wants, to be used when she is hospitalised. Unblock the sink. Clean and wash the flooded wet kitchen. Prepare milk for Hsiang and wash his bottle when he is done drinking.

Things had started out fairly well with regards to Young's arrival, the smooth and swift delivery, the next day discharge, wifey in relatively better condition compared to the first delivery, the relatively cheaper medical cost. Too good to be true so things are starting to go downhill. Couldn't reach the confinement lady whole day today, her phone was unreachable. Young being diagnosed to have high level of jaundice and is hospitalised two days after being discharged, wifey staying in the hospital with him. Medical bills mounting up.

The arrival of mother and mother-in-law sure is a relief, especially on taking care of Hsiang. Hsiang is showing signs of insecurity and jealousy with the arrival of his younger brother. While I understand his feelings, the irony is that his misbehaviours and attention seeking are not endearing him to me but having the opposite effect. If only he could listen to me and behave himself and know that we love him just the same. I have to be more patience with him.

Will the society ever realise the need for a meaningful length of paternity leave? Will people think of the father please, not just the mother and baby in regards to birth.

I shaved my beard and moustache, for trimming them requires effort and time, and time is something I am rather lacking. Besides, I don't want to irritate the delicate skin of my baby Young when I kiss him. Forget it ladies, no amount of SK-II will give you the tenderness and softness of baby skin. My wifey didn't notice my lack of facial hair, I wasn't surprised.

I am tired. Really tired. But restless.

No comments: