23 October 2009

Humbling Experience


When Chin Chin handed me a red packet saying it's a gift from the colleagues for the newborn Young Young, I thanked her and thought nothing of it.

She commented that I seemed to be rather popular, for many had contributed to the gift. I think I probably laughed at that, "popular" and "CK" do not go together, okay? So, I asked for the list of names and Chin Chin informed me it's within the ang pao, I thanked her again for being so thorough and thought nothing of it.

As I was heading to a meeting then, and was keeping my stuff in the cabinet, Chin Chin advised me to keep the ang pao safe, "there's a lot of money in it," she said. I locked it in my cabinet and thought nothing of it.

You have to understand, I honestly cannot link myself with popular. I am a boring person (really one!), while I understand networking is important, I am no good at it. I was thinking around 10 being my circle of friends among my colleagues, so when Chin Chin said "many" I was thinking around 15 to 20.

I was in for a surprise when I finally opened the red packet when I got home. I am not here to brag so I will not disclose the actual number of colleagues that had contributed to the gift. I can only tell you it honestly exceeded my expectation and I am truely shocked.

I know I am a nice person, well, generally... Okay okay, I am evil in a nice way. But I honestly do not think so many would care or bother with me having a second child, since our department is having a productive year with many babies popping left and right.

I think it must have been Chin Chin pulling strings, maybe she point a gun to people's head or something. No matter how she did it, this is really a humbling experience for me.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.

You know, Young has more money now than my whole childhood years combined, he is just one week's old! Good grief.



I owe you one Chin Chin, in fact, I owe you two since there's that lab stuff as well. =)

No comments: