25 November 2007

US Trip

Went to the United States of America for a business trip, it's the first time I set foot in that country.

Longer flight time than going to England, I couldn't feel my bum when I finally landed at Los Angeles. The connecting flight to Arizona was nothing after the butt-numbing back-breaking (nothing to do with Brokeback Mountain) direct flight from Singapore to Los Angeles.



A380 spotted while in transit Changi Airport

Arrived Sky Habour Airport, Phoenix fairly late at night, went over to the rental car building and picked up my car. The young chap that served me on that night probably have a side job that charges for every word he says, for I had to ask for all the information I honestly think should be given readily, like where to get the car, where is the car key, et cetera.


The car I drove while in Arizona

With the help of the GPS, I drove to my hotel without a hitch. Driving on the left side of the car and right side of the road didn't post any problem, it's changing transmission with the right hand that needed some getting used to.

After all I am a decent and disciplined driver, I use my indication lights, stay within my lane and I don't drive 40km/h on the fast lane of a 80km/h road. *Ehem*.

Arrived hotel near midnight, after checking in I went out to look for food, for I need supper before I sleep. Having found nothing nearby the hotel, I bought some pot noodles from the hotel store and settled in for the night



Snacks! I need a full tummy to sleep

Spent the first two days (the weekend) in Arizona mostly in my hotel room, since old people take longer to get over jet lag I slept in the daytime and when I was fresh enough to head out, it's already dark and I felt like staying in again. Alone in a foreign place, I simply wasn't in an adventurous mood.

Thank goodness for Redbull (I don't drink coffee), else I would not be able to stay awake in the daytime in the following days.



The sleek Redbull can, unlike the fugly Malaysia version

The next two days were working days so bo huat had to work I went about meeting colleagues, putting faces to names, built up my network, and felt insignificant with my oh so limited working experience compared to them.

I left Arizona after that, so basically I didn't visit anywhere while there. A shame really, for the weather was pleasent at Arizona that time of the year. All I can tell you about Arizona is Hawthorn Suites hotel serves decent breakfast.

Sad. Oh well, perhaps next time.



The car I drove while in Oregon

Went to Oregon next, Oregon's weather at that time was similar to late autumn in Nottingham. Gloomy sky, persistent rain, chilly, wet.

Got a nicer looking car that burns petrol like no tomorrow and stayed in Larkspur Landing hotel, which has fantastic bed but lousy breakfast. I guess the bed is to compensate for the breakfast, since if one overslept one would not have time for breakfast, hehehe.



Comfy bed

It was more happening at Oregon since colleagues from the same group were there as well. They know their way in Oregon and I ngeh si followed them got to hang around them. At least I didn't have to dine alone anymore.


LL and SC made my stay at Oregon more pleasent. Thanks ladies!

We had quite a few meals together and we celebrated SC's birthday in advance.


Photographic proof that SC had a happy birthday celebration!

We went out together on Saturday after snaking the weekdays off. A quick drive through at McDonald's for SC's breakfast, the following conversation happened.

LL: "Stop CK, I want to take a photo of the waitress"
CK: "Huh? Okay..."
LL: "Want to take pretty girl pictures for my boyfriend lar"
CK: "For your boyfriend mar just take photos of yourself can liao lor"
LL: "Myself no need picture one, he can touch, hug..."
CK: "Stop stop! I don't want to know the details!"
LL: "kekekeke"
SC: "LL really hiao"

I have to agree with SC after LL told me my rented car was a "male" car and LL electrostatically shocked it not once but twice. Car you also want, ai meh?



McDonald's waitresses

Our initial plan was to go to the Silver Falls and then hit the shopping centre on our way home, but it rained heavily on our way towards the waterfall so we went shopping first instead.


LL and Shrek

After the time for shopping, lunch, photo stops, SC (the guide) falling asleep en route and we had to double back, it was already late afternoon by the time we reached the South Fall of Silver Falls. We grabbed some photos and it went dark soon after. Shame really, it was a nice place and I would love to spend a bit more time there.


One of the scenery spots en route Silver Falls

We went to a huge electric appliances shop on our way back and had dinner together before we called it a day. That concluded my US trip as well for I left the next day.


South Fall of Silver Falls

At the time of writing, SC is holding hostage the South Fall photos with me in them, I will have to find a way to free the photos. Will someone please think of the photos?



- Epilogue -

Initially the following were written preceeding the contents, but it kind of set a wrong tone to the entry so I moved it to the end instead. It's after all just my own perception of The States.

Born in Malaysia and being subjected to the British system all these years, Unites States to me is a country with funny spellings, wrong-way-round date system, and one that likes to change the title of books, cameras, et cetera (
uu nia bo?), among other things.

The ease of obtaining firearm and the frequent deranged gunshot murder news have been putting me off, and the blatant disregard of the United Nations decision on Iraq war didn't help endearing me to the country either. Truth to be told, if it wasn't for business need, I probably wouldn't set foot in the country for a long while still.

I have been to countries and places, but before I left for this trip, I wrote my first ever will.

Yes really.




- Manglish translator -

bo huat = [Hokkien] no choice
ngeh si = [Hokkien] forcefully, uninvited
hiao = [Hokkien] flirtatious
ai meh? = [Hokkien] really want to? really have to?
uu nia bo? = [Hokkien] is it true?

No comments: