16 August 2019

Ten months and a bang!


Slightly more than ten months ago I fulfilled one of my life's dreams.

Probably the only one out of the three that I can, the other two will most likely follow me to my grave.

*Sigh*...

Sad but true.


Anyway, that's not the topic of this entry.

You know, when we drive we are to be alert of the surrounding, be aware of what's in our peripheral vision, all that.

So we can minimise the chance of mishap and accident since there are just so many idiots on the road that inevitably endangered the other road users by their action and/or inaction.

Idiotic road users are one of my pet peeves but is also not the topic of this entry.


So anyway, I was driving to work in the early hours today, using the same route, driving the same style as I always do. I do consider myself a safe and responsible driver.

Traffic was light and smooth that time of the day, all was going as usual until I was cruising passed a T-junction along Pengkalan Weld.

Nothing triggered me on my peripheral vision, so it's pretty surprising when I heard, rather than felt, a bang from the rear.

Since I didn't really felt any significant impact, it was only when I glanced at my rear view mirror and saw a motorcyclist sprawling on the road that I realised I just had an accident.

Dammit! That motorcyclist hit my new car from the right coming out of the T-junction!

(Okay so it's almost a year old but it's still very dear to me.)

I stopped the car at the road side and headed back towards the motorcyclist, pissed, to be honest. Victim of an accident, angry thinking of the damage done to my dear car and the inconvenience that motorcyclist has caused me.

But I kept my cool, since anger doesn't help and we don't think clearly when we are angry.


What I saw walking back toward the scene was a Malay guy helping to right the motorcycle and the motorcyclist, also Malay, sitting dazed on the road.

No major injury that I can see, some scratches on his left hand and some cuts on the fingers. Helmet had rolled off so he probably didn't wore it properly, or at all.

I went and took photos of the motorcycle, making sure I have the number plate. But I didn't get the road tax since unlike on a car, it's not readily displayed on a motorcycle.

The motorcyclist was either shocked, stoned, or both. He wasn't very lucid and didn't seemed to know what to do even after he was up and walking about.

I actually wasn't surprised when he couldn't produce a driving license, and no, the motorcycle was not insured either.

Guess he knew he is in the wrong since he readily said he would pay for repair. My initial inspection of my car then didn't show any noticeable damage. It's still dark so I was primarily checking if there's any dent.

Don't know why I took pity on him and said will not lodge a police report. He has no insurance to claim anyway, lodging a report would only cause him trouble for driving illegally.

When asked if he had someone he could call, since his left hand was injured and it's not safe to ride his motorcycle home, he said his mobile phone has just been stolen, like, during that accident.

Remember that Malay guy who helped to right the motorcycle? Yea, gone, with the phone most likely.

Human being can be so heinous. One of the reasons I am antisocial.


Anyway, I must have gone soft as I aged, as I went and drove him home after he told me he doesn't remember any number of his family member (that's the problem with relying on phone address book), so couldn't call any of them with my phone.

He was either really tired, or again my suspicion that he was under the influence of some substance, as he dozed off while I drove him home. Getting direction out of him was a challenge as well given his state.

Missed an exit, made a U-turn a lot further down the road, and him confusing left and right (spoken in Malay no less) didn't help.

But eventually I got him home, he woke his mom and I told her what happened. Told her to get his son checked for seriousness of injury and to get the motorcycle back where we left it, the key's with her son.

She thanked me and I left them to go to work, arrived office 40 minutes later than usual.


It's not until I got home, and under a brighter condition, that I noticed the right rear rim has deep scratches. I only noticed the scratches on the right rear end above the wheel earlier.

So I guess the right rear wheel was where the real impact is.

Bollocks, I do mind the scratches on the rim! >_<

My poor car. =(



Other |runaway rants| category entries.


No comments: