01 April 2010

What to do?


Took a lot longer than I anticipated to write this entry, since it's already 1st of April I like to wish everyone Happy April Fools' Day, indulge your inner child and be merry fooling or be fooled! =)

Okay, that done, let's have a change of mood and move on to the sombre entry I have spent some time to craft.
-----

Every year around this time, my company announces the performance review for the employees. So it's this time that we find out whether or not we have meet our expectation and more importantly, whether or not we get a rise (raise in American English).

Okay, so I am the slacker extraordinaire, but really that's not my attitude towards work. Honest.

I am all serious with work related stuff, I meet my due date, put in my best into my work, make sure my work is of good quality, I pay attention to the details, and go that extra mile to make sure my work is easily comprehensible for the others.

So it came as a shock that I am underperforming. =(

This is really a big deal, I have to perform better else I will lose my job! This is seriously not laughing matter.

I admit I am not the 'long hour' type who are in the office 07:00 to 19:00 hours. I usually call into the early meetings from home and then arrive office late morning to avoid peak hour traffic. And I try not to stay late in the office unless I absolutely have to, I want some semblance of work/life balance.

But anyway, this shouldn't be the reason why I am rated underperforming, since you know, I meet my due date and all that.

Have to say I am rather puzzled, is my own standard really not as high as I think it is and hence 'my best' and 'good quality' are really not up to scratch?

I just... refuse to believe that.

It's so happened that manager MunY has just written an entry on
performance review with some handy pointers for underperforming people like me. I am doing most, if not all, of his 6 useful pointers leh.

After some serious thinking I came to this: I am not selling myself.

Problem is, while I have no qualm in admitting and even joking about my weaknesses, I don't feel comfortable telling people how swell I am. I am a quiet person who listen more than speak, and I don't like to be in the limelight.

There are those who are in love with their own voice, those who will speak up for the sake of speaking up in the presence of important high up people. There are those who will pour non-stop given half the chance, to show how knowledgable, how great and mighty they are.

Empty bucket makes the most noise?

Tough luck for me then, cause usually those who make the most noise get noticed, and as the saying: it's not what you know, but who you know that matters. Sad but true.

So, what to do?

Appreciate any suggestions you may have. Before you send them to me, please read the first paragraph at the top, especially those in red. Thanks!

Sombre matter, isn't it?


No comments: