28 March 2023

Diablo IV open beta


Been playing the early access of Diablo IV the previous weekend and the open beta this past weekend.

Overall I am enjoying it, not perfect, but I like it. Perhaps because it's still novel, the new toilet syndrome. I hope not.

The one thing that irked me is the skip cut scene function that is not working. Don't get me wrong, Blizzard makes fantastic cut scenes, and there are many in Diablo IV, lengthy ones too. I love them the first time through. The second time, not as much. By the third time, I just want to skip it and get on with progressing my new character.

this cut scene is so awesome I couldn't helped myself taking a screenshot

I submitted a bug report for the skip cut scene not working after trying repeatedly in vain. By my fourth character, I would be clipping my nails, went for bio break, went to refill my water, et cetera during the cut scenes. True story.

As my nature, I tried all the five available classes. Started with sorcerer which I levelled all the way to 25, the max for the beta. Barbarian was next, which I only played to level 11, stopped because the early access weekend was over. Started a druid this past weekend open beta, levelled to 23, this character had some multiplayer dungeon clearing time with an online friend from Diablo Immortal. Then played the necromancer, solely to find all 28 of the Lilith's altars in the region, altar finding and doing the events en route got the character to level 18, then played that character a bit more till level 22 because quite like the class. The last class I played is the rogue, levelled to 18 doing side quests and some dungeons.

28 altars of Lilith in Fractured Peaks, for my own future reference

The class skill tree is so diverse, I can see myself spending a lot of time playing this game just to try skills out. Here's hoping there will be no cookie-cutter 'best' build but instead many viable builds. I really hope Blizzard can balance it so there is no single 'best' min/max build, then we will have variety instead of everybody being the same.

Liking what I experienced so far, my pre-order is justified. I guess now Diablo fans worldwide have to wait three more months for the official release.



Other |geeky gaming| category entries.


No comments: