14 March 2021

Fourteen hours


A bit more than seven hours yesterday, a bit less than seven hours today.

That's the overtime I did these two days, including the forced ergonomics breaks but excluding the lunch break. Fourteen solid working hours.

Work/life balance aside, since this is absolutely not healthy and not balance, ironically can only get this kind of solid hours all for work in the weekend, or out of normal working hours, when there is no interruptions in the form of meetings or instant messages from colleagues, project leads and managers.

I am about twenty hours into the generation of the thermal model, I think I probably can complete the components and parts generation given another seven hours of solid work hours.

That's just having all the components and parts created, and does not mean the model will run smoothly. New model or model with major changes usually has problems in the first solve, and needs a few rounds of debugging. This particular model is more complicated than usual, so it would be a miracle if it runs smoothly in the first solve.

In the course of generating the thermal model, I found several issues in the reference mechanical model, which has been through at least two engineers. It takes a thermal engineer to spot the issues in the mechanical model, what are those mechanical engineers doing?

Again I have to use my own judgement and make some assumptions and modifications, in order to not gate my progress. But I know very likely they will come back later down the line with their corrected version that will invalidate what I have done up to that point.

Tired of doing other people's job for them. Tired of being the one who did all the revisions and modifications because the others couldn't provide quality work in the first place.

Look at my, grumpy old git. This work sure is bringing out the worst of me.



Other |wretched workaholic| category entries.


No comments: