04 April 2013

I'll be back (3)


In this series: |part 1| |part 2|

All photos in this series are presented as photographed, unless otherwise specified, the only image manipulations done were resize, crop and adding watermark.

-----

Let me first state that most of this month's photos actually had their brightness and contrast tweaked using image manipulation software. Tweaked in the way as if I had used a graduated filter, that is, darken the sky and in some cases brighten the foreground. Contrast adjustment, if done, was to retain the original after the brightness change.

the very first photo I took, and my favourite of the lot. Contrast was increased 2%

I used Paint Shop Pro 7 for image manipulation, its brightness adjustment function doesn't have a unit, while contrast is in percentage. Most of the brightness changes I made were in the -5 to -10 range on the sky, the few changes on the foreground/land were in the +5 to +10 range. Contrast adjustment was between 2% to 5%.

sun breaking the horizon
tweak: sky brightness was reduced by 5, contrast increased by 2%

March theme for The Light Room was Landscape (Sunrise or Sunset). Yup, landscape specifically at sunrise or sunset hours.

less than 2 minutes after the above shot
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%

So after two months of photographing things I set up in the comfort of the house, this month I finally got my lazy arse out and about, all in the name of photography. =P

sun was still rather high in the sky for a sunset shot

I didn't have a DSLR this month so it's back to my ancient Canon PowerShot S2. It has aperture and shutter priority functions, it allows me to manual focus (rather cumbersomely), it even has exposure compensation to help so I was good to go!

the huge brightness difference between sky and sea/land made me wish I had my graduated filter, manually holding it in front of the lens
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 5

No filter adapter though, so I had to live with the huge contrast between sky and sea/land and resorted to post-capture image manipulation, oh well.

if only the sun's reflection was also in the foreground water...
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%

Made three attempts on this month's theme, two sunrises and one sunset. Can't say I didn't put in the effort. =)

that 'lump' on the beach is a dog =P
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 5, contrast increased by 5%. Sea brightness increased by 5, contrast increased by 3%

I like my twilight shots more, but since the theme specifically says sunrise or sunset, I ended up choosing one with the sun still visible.

this is the image I posted to the group
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 5, contrast increased by 5%

It was really a shame that the cloud formation was either non-existing or not really all that nice on my three attempts.

I kind of like the wave breaking on the beach
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 5. Sea/land brightness increased by 10. Overall contrast increased by 5%

Wifey snapped a beautiful sunrise photo using her mobile phone in between the days of my attempts, it has fantastic cloud formation. Life's so unfair. -_-

doggie was enjoying the sunset ^_^
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%

Anyway, it's good to be passionate about photography again. It's a nice feeling.

this is a crop to make panorama
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%

If only more of the group is as passionate, and take the monthly 'assignment' more seriously.

this is the photo from which the above was cropped from ^_^
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%

I was hoping the group will provide me with the motivation to get back to, and stay motivated in photography.

found this log after the sun has gone down, it makes good foreground interest
tweak: sky brightness decreased by 20, contrast increased by 10%. Foreground brightness increased by 10, contrast increased by 5%

So here's hoping interest will pick up, cause it can be rather discouraging when the others don't put in the effort. It's supposed to be a group thing.

second sunrise attempt, after the end of my night shift
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 30, contrast increased by 15%

Anyway, hope you like the photographs. Feedbacks and comments appreciated! =)

exposed for the sky for the colour, but the foreground was underexposed too much for my liking
tweak: sky brightness reduced by 10, contrast increased by 5%. Foreground brightness increased by 30, contrast increased by 15%



All original work on this site is copyright C.K. Goh and may not be copied or reprinted without my express written approval.



No comments: