26 January 2013

I'll be back


One of my resolutions this year is to get back to photography. My plan in realising this resolution is to get a group of like-minded friends, have a monthly theme kind of thing where we go take our best shot, share, and provide honest feedbacks to others.

Group motivation, something like that.

Anyway, January's theme is Still Life, and submission period started today. It's not a big group, and many are so eager they submitted earlier. Wah lau peer pressure so I ended up selecting one of my shots last week and submitted instead of trying a few more this weekend as initiailly planned.

I am lucky this month in the sense that I have a borrowed DSLR to take the shots. Next month onwards I will rely on my PowerShot S2 or my IXUS 800, until I get myself a DLSR, which have to wait until I sell my kidney or something. =P

 the beauty of digital photography: try as much as you like!

Capitalising on the near instant review and the near zero running cost, I bracketed my exposures and played with different apertures to get different depth of field. So fast and cheap compared to good old film. ^_^

Shared here are the more presentable photos.

I like these cups, and tried to compose the scene so it has meaning

Green bunny chasing pink bunny, how to convey that in a nice pictorial form?

that's me girl, so near yet so far

I have difficulty finding a tidy background, so I opted for shooting down towards the horizontal surface. I changed to a mirror to add intrigue.

Wine glass and its reflection

Not the first time I use this technique really, I like it because it's neat and tidy.

a glass half full, or half empty?

Reflection details alone may not be enough as focal point, so I added the liquid. Wanted to include my own reflection within the glass reflection, but I couldn't achieve that on the day. Supposed to try it again this weekend in another location where I have more room to position myself.

with foreground interest and hopefully lead-in

Then I added the drops, hoping to add some foreground interest, and possibly lead-in. But might have ended up as a distraction, less is more in this case? I submitted this last image as my entry, let's see what the feedbacks are. ^_^

This is just the first month for the group, so I'm not sure if it will keep going or just dissolves when the initial interest wears out.

I can't honestly say that I am back to photography yet, so I will just say I'll be back, without a specific timeline. =P


No comments: