11 January 2013

Sign of Trouble


Personal financial trouble, that is.

What's the sign?

It's when I start researching the different Canon EOS DSLR, comparing specifications, functionalities, and reading up reviews. That, my goodness, is the sign of potential financial trouble.

My dream camera, the Canon EOS 5D, is already in its 3rd iteration. Still so damn freaking expensive but getting lovelier with every iteration. Mark III with 61 focus points, 6 fps, 1/8000 seconds max shutter speed, 100 to 25600 ISO range (50 to 102800 expanded) had me drooling all over.

I want!

But no money. =(


So I looked at 6D, which body only price is roughly half that of 5D Mark III. Same DIGIC 5+, same ISO range, but with crap load of auto scene modes and creative zone which appeals me not at all. It has a max shutter speed of 1/4000 seconds, which isn't too bad . I can live with the 4.5 fps too as I'm not a huge sports or fast action photography fan.

WiFi and GPS on a camera, huh? Can do cool stuff like using smartphone as remote control, too bad I am a caveman and does not dig the smartphone bandwagon. Not yet anyway. I suppose it's handy to get the GPS coordinates for the beautiful secluded place so the others can go and make it no longer secluded... I guess those that simply have to post everything on Facebook immediately and announce to the world where they are will love these features. -_-

My main beef with 6D though, is the 11 focus points, and only the centre is cross-type. I know I know, my good old EOS 5 (without the D) only has 5 focus points, but comparing 6D's 11 to 5D's 61...

Still, EOS 6D isn't exactly cheap, it's a few months worth of my income if I don't spend a single cent. >_<


So I looked at 7D, which body only is about MYR 2k less than 6D. It's a 2009 model but it is still okay spec wise. It uses the older DIGIC 4 processor, but two of them. 8 fps, oooh. 19 focus points, all of them cross-type. Max shutter speed of 1/8000 seconds, which is better than 6D.

ISO range of 100 to 6400, expandable to 12800, much smaller range compared to 5D and 6D. Though I think I should be alright with it since I am still in the film era mindset where I snapped mostly in 100, 200 and 400 ISO.

The thing that really irks me though, is that EOS 7D is not a full frame camera, APS-C with 1.6x crop factor. I have to invest in wider angle lenses.

*sigh*

5, 6, or 7? Going smaller in model number comes at the cost of correspondingly increasing likelihood of needing to sell my kidney and whoring myself.

And I haven't even looked into lenses yet.

*sigh*

Photography, damn expensive hobby.

Or simply because I am poor.

Bollocks.


1 comment:

HoneyBee said...

It is very expensive indeed...
I think it is a hobby for those who have loads of spare cash and time, with no better place to spend them. Or those who use photography to make money for the expensive photography equipment.
Unfortunately, I'm neither of those...
Won't it be nice if I have one, or two will be better still, Money printing machine!