08 March 2009

Networking Woes


My social networking is nothing to write about, I am a boring person.

This doesn't really bother me since I know myself, what bothers me though, is my home internet and local area network (LAN) issues that have been bugging me for around two weeks now.

It started with my router snuffing out. No problem, I have a spare router lying around, a bribe gift my department gave us for the impending move to ulu town.

Thanks to my supa-craptasitic-computa-skillz, it took a me a few days just to get the new router (wireless!) and my existing modem to talk to each other without all the nastiness of a quarrelling couple.

Should have registered the sign when it took me a few attempts just to get the modem to reset to its default settings, I thought it's just the modem being a typical woman throwing tantrum and being difficult.

I was just glad when the modem and the router finally kissed and made up and I get to go online again, and I didn't think much of the oddity of the modem reset button taking so many attempts to actually work.

My internet went down again on Friday, and no matter what I do the modem simply refused to work. Even with my limited computer knowledge, I know that the modem has gone bonkers, showing me LAN connection when I have unplugged the network cable, and not showing me the ASDL connection when I have the phone line jacked in.

And the reset button simply refused to work, no matter how many times I rebooted the modem and no matter for how long I pressed on the button.

So, I got myself a new modem and that solved my internet and LAN problem (at least so far so good, I am keeping my fingers crossed). If only there was something that I could buy for my social networking...

The old modem must have gone crazy after the death of the old router, I guess thay are just inseparable. For that imaginary love, I spare the old modem and let it rest in peace instead of the "rest in pieces" I had in mind.

Sorry hammer, maybe next time.

Hope the brand new router and modem will not give me anymore problem, enough networking issues already!

I am not holding my breath.

No comments: