07 September 2022

Top student?


One of the closest buddies from the high school gang who married another very close friend in the gang came back to town for vacation.

Two close friends known back in high school time. Warms my now antisocial heart seeing the familiar faces.

They brought their triplets over to play in the swimming pool. Since I was not on vacation, I was working when they came over and didn't joined them.

We did had dinner together though. It's good to catch up.

I think we were talking about how I decided history is not my cup of tea, since my goldfish memory is definitely not a strength, nor is it conducive to history subject.

I actually made a conscious decision to let go of the history subject in the last two years of my high school, and put my effort in the other subjects that do not rely on memory.

Back then history was not a compulsory subject that needs a passing credit for further tertiary education. I didn't failed the subject anyway, despite not putting in any real effort, guess I was lucky.

Anyway, it's when we were on this topic that the lady friend mentioned I was a top student. For which I was quite taken aback.

I have never been a top student. I have been above average, managed to stay within the top 20% of my bacth throughout the high school years. The best I managed was 6%, for a single year only, the rest of the years I was within the 10% to 17% range.

So no, I have never considered myself a top student. There were many very smart people in my batch. If the school put us in classes by straight ranking, then I would have been in the second class. Well, maybe except that one year when I was in the 6%.

A surprising revelation for me, never thought there is this perception of me being top student.



Other |temperamental thoughts| category entries.


No comments: