15 October 2020

Downtime


So, I have just shut down my workstation and ended my work day.

Erm... yay!

As a thermal engineer, majority of my work time is spent on thermal simulation, so the workstation is pretty much on and running 24/7.

Actually not just the workstation, since managers and colleagues seem to think I can do the workload of several persons, I have to run thermal simulations on several servers simultaneously until I get a warning recently using up too many licenses of the thermal simulation software.

Even with parallel processing I still have a backlog of thermal simulation requests...

Really, my dear managers and colleagues, I am not superman. And no, for those few who may be thinking it, I am also not batman!

Anyway, since there will be 'cold down' without power in the office for some upgrades or maintenance tomorrow onwards through the weekend, I turned off my workstation by the end of workday today so it's a graceful shutdown and not an abrupt power cut.

It will be nice to think I don't have to work from Friday to Sunday, and only resume when colleague who is going to office next Monday helps to turn on my workstation. A nice thought indeed.

But reality is that it's just a nice thought and nothing more. I will have to work directly using the server instead of my usual remote in through my workstation.

With the backlog of thermal simulation requests, I simply cannot afford the downtime.

Yea I know, what a pathetic work life. Sad, but true.



Other |wretched workaholic| category entries.


No comments: