30 November 2019

Immigration office efficiency November 2019


Despite a clear message that I rather not be travelling, since I find it tiring, and I have so many simulations to run to find solution, they still insisted that I go.

Don't they understand that I need to be at my desk working directly on my workstation for best efficiency? Of course I can remote into my workstation anywhere with internet access, but it's just not efficient that way.

And really, I am one of those who do the actual work of solving the issue, not one of those who travel everywhere attending meetings talking about solving issue.

I am a doer, not a talker. To me, meetings are necessary evil and waste of time that could be used doing actual work.

And by Murphy's law my passport is expiring just a few days short of six months from the date of travel, of course.

Bollocks.


But enough with the rant, here's the immigration office efficiency on Tuesday morning, when I popped over to renew my passport.

I arrived 07:52 hours to queue for number, and got my number at 08:03 hours, 11 minutes to get a number.

They were serving #1008 at 08:03 hours, mine's #1071, so I went out for a stroll.

Returned to the immigration office at 08:26 hours, after a 23 minutes stroll. They were serving #1012 then, 5 minutes 45 seconds to serve one with that rate, urgh.

Looked like it's going to take a long while before my turn, so I found a quiet corner to sit and read the novel I brought along.

Since they have number announcement, I recorded the time for every 10 persons served, starting from #1030, below are the time, serving number and the average efficiency at that time interval:

09:07 hours: #1030, 2 minutes 17 seconds to serve one
09:24 hours: #1040, 1 minute 42 seconds to serve one
09:45 hours: #1050, 2 minutes 6 seconds to serve one
09:57 hours: #1060, 1 minute 12 seconds to serve one
10:17 hours: #1070, 2 minutes to serve one
10:34 hours: #1080, 1 minute 42 seconds to serve one

So it's actually slower in the early morning and only really go to a somewhat stable rate after ~08:30 hours, probably that's when all the staff actually started working.

Close to 6 minutes to serve one prior to 08:30 hours, then average about 1 minute 30 seconds after that.

From queueing up for number to when I finally was done with payment, which was another wait after the photo shooting, took 2 hours and 43 minutes.

Then was told to go back later near noon for passport collection, which when I did, took another 4 minutes of waiting.

So the efficiency is actually not bad, average of 2 minutes 23 seconds per person for the whole duration I was there, and if we only consider the "stable" after 08:30 hours rate, it's less than 2 minutes per person on average. This is just the passport renewal (probably and new passport) process, excluding the collection.

Just too many people applying everyday so a lot of time wasted waiting, oh well.



Other |hyped up heads up| category entries.


No comments: