22 April 2018

Revisiting Faerûn


Earlier this month, there was a family emergency that took me away from my gaming.

When the critical period was over and I returned home to my gaming machine, my World of Warcraft subscription has ended.

With the possibility of me needing to travel on short notice to handle family matter still ever presence, I didn't resubscribe to World of Warcraft.

So I took a break from Azeroth and decided to revisit Faerûn instead.

Reinstalled Baldur's Gate, the classic, not the enhanced edition or whatever the new one is called. I have the six discs version, with the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion.

Back in the days when I just bought the game, I only completed the base storyline and didn't explore the expansion side of stuff. I also bought Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and its expansion Throne of Bhaal (also the six CDs version), I haven't played that one still. =P

So this time, I plan to complete the whole saga, both games plus their expansions, with the same character throughout.

Well, that's the plan anyway... I actually don't have high confidence I will be able to complete this epic game journey, something always happen somehow to interrupt the plan.

I can but try. =)


Anyway, AD&D RPG gamer will know character creation is a big deal. I have never been a brute force kind of person and fancy myself as someone who outsmarts and outmaneuvers the opponent.

Intelligence and dexterity based, lethal magic and agile movement that kind of character. Besides, all those locked doors and chests are just taunting my curiosity, gotta open them all!

So naturally I am drawn towards the mage/thief combo. Initially I wanted a human dual class, with mage the higher of the two classes, but I cannot be bothered with finding out when is the optimal level to switch and also I would pretty much be playing as a thief in Baldur's Gate I content if I intend to use this same character in Baldur's Gate II.

Meh!

So I created a bard instead, but a few levels in I am really disappointed with this class, perhaps in Baldur's Gate II with class kit this class is better but in Baldur's Gate I it's just... meh!

I gave up and started all over again with a half elf mage/thief multiclass, I messed up the first level up and settled for a grand 1 hit point increase (d'oh!), but so far so good, so I am just going to stick with this fragile character and remind myself to reroll a few hundred times to get decent hit point in subsequent level ups.

Oh well, the AD&D system...

Hope I can complete the saga this time round.



Other |geeky gaming| category entries.


No comments: