07 October 2010

Catwalk your heels off


Tonight, I am not going to work. I am not even going to turn on my laptop. I do declare.

For the past two weeks I have been working every day and night. Weekends included. In fact, weekends were even longer hours as I started work the moment I woke till late into the wee hours.

Doing the one thing that got me hired in the first place - cool guy doing hot catwalk thermal modelling.

I like doing hot catwalk thermal modelling, for I am competent with it. I will not boast like some people as being a thermal expert (because I am not, am just a thermal engineer), but I do am fairly decent with thermal numerical simulation.

I would be happy just to do thermal modelling, but job scope has changed since I joined the company and I no longer just provide modelling support. The sad fact is I pretty much get roped into anything with the word "thermal" in it, or anything that's remotely related to thermal.

Luckily no one has come up with "high temperature restroom cleanliness thermal solution" yet, else you would see me cleaning the restroom with hot soapy water.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

Two full weeks of doing thermal simulations to compare the performance of new tool designs. 24 models to cover the many variations of the 5 designs.

And if you knew me, you would know that I didn't just do a single case of simulation for each of the model. I did a total of at least 350 cases.

Granted, most of those were calibrations of my base model with the empirical data, but for every model hence, I did at least 4 cases to cover different scenarios.

While it's the computer that's crunching the numerical equations, models do not generate themselves. Slight variation of a design, for example the change of a hole size or location, is not just about modifying that in the model when there is non-uniform thermal contact resistance map to consider. Also, post-processing more than 350 cases takes time.

Anyway, I have documented the model predictions and my analysis and handed in the report this evening, I am hoping that's the end of this.

Cause while I was busy burning up with all these, I lost the quality time with my wife and sons, missed the Bulgarian dinner with my family and god-sister-in-law who dressed up and made up prettily for the evening, lost countless hours of sleep, and didn't have time to play DotA! >.<

If only I could also take a month to install the thermal simulation software, request for training, give suggestion and plan but commit to nothing, or just send e-mail saying I agree with what the other has said.

Oh, and welcome others to the "thermal world", whatever that is.

3 comments:

LingLi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CK said...

***sorry Lily, removed your comment and reposted it here to remove sensitive information***

hey CK, company's toilet used to have the hot air blower and may need your help to simulate the thermal solution.

Poor guy, should discuss this with your very kind boss mah..

CK said...

Anyway Lily, boss knows and has been considerate on my other job commitments.

Sorry again for removing your initial comment.