03 December 2009

Figures


I have the strange habit of recording things, not just the usual expenses but things like the hours I spent playing computer game in a month, quotes from the books I read, the number of days my wireless keyboard's batteries can last, et cetera.

The following figures are commuting related. They are based on 3 months of data I recorded because I wanted to find out a few things:

1. just how damn far is my home from ulu place?
2. just how damn long does it take to drive to ulu place and back?
3. any difference between using ron97 and ron95?

I drive a first generation MyVi 1.3 litre automatic transmission. Whenever possible, I drive at speed limit +/-5 km/h (okay okay, +10/-0 km/h) on highway, and on the bridge it's whatever speed the vehicle in front of me is driving at (I keep a safe and non-threatening distance, of course). I fill up petrol at Shell when I have about 25% left in the tank. I pump my tires every second or third time I fill up the petrol.

These are the figures from 3 months of data:
  • average commute time - house to work: 0 hour 52 minutes, stdev: 4 minutes
  • average commute time - work to house: 1 hour 05 minutes, stdev: 8 minutes
  • average distance - house to work: 51.2 km, stdev: 0.3 km
  • average distance - work to house: 51.1 km, stdev: 0.6 km
  • average mileage: 15.9 km/litre, stdev: 0.641 km/litre (ron97)
  • average petrol cost: 0.13 RM/km, stdev: 0.005 RM/km (RM2.05 per litre ron97)
  • stdev = standard deviation

    So, on average it costs me RM13.3 petrol money to go to work and back, just petrol money, not including the tolls, the vehicle maintenance, et cetera.

    I switched to ron95 today, so wait for a few months for me to collect the data and I will share them here.

    3 comments:

    江边鸟 said...

    hoho ~ good data collection and analysis... should get a Stats Award :)

    Unknown said...

    While u r at it (ron 97 vs. ron 95)...do also a ron 95 comparison btw. Shell vs. Esso vs. BHP vs. Caltax! :) Sounds familiar?

    CK said...

    Nelson,

    Stats? Hamilai?

    =P

    ---

    Polly,

    Just say NO! =)