23 February 2009

State of Mind


Happiness, like sadness, is a state of mind.

There is nothing wrong being sad, for it's through sadness we appreciate happiness. Prolonged sadness though, is not a healthy state to dwell on.

I know, because I have been depressed for a long period of time. During which sparks of happiness were short-lived, never sustained, and I stayed in my cave wasting away my life.

Depression is a psychological illness, so in other words I was mentally imbalanced, a psycho. I never denied I am a little crazy, ever read what I wrote on my office white board? =P

There came a point when I didn't want to be depressed no more. I really, really wanted to be normal again. After all, there are only so many years I will live, I don't want to waste them in sadness.

I didn't really know what to do to be happy, so I told myself to stop being depressed. It's an inner battle of telling myself repeatedly that I want to be normal again.

Saying is always easier than actually doing it, however I also know that we won't get anywhere if we do nothing. First step is always the hardest, persist and it becomes a habit.

Smile, for I believe the physical affects the mental and vice versa. By making myself smile, I hope to lead my mind into happiness. Nothing to lose trying, since smiling makes one look better anyway.

It took time, and I still suffer bouts of depression every now and then, but that's okay, it's normal. Although a teeny-weeny insane, I am generally happy nowadays, because I chose to be.

Happiness is a choice.

3 comments:

Chew KW said...

Welcome to the family!
Everyone nowadays is abit psycho anyway.
Depression sometimes is just alack of certain chemical in your body. Trust me, some psychologist told me that.
Anyway, I think just think of a way to get away from work or maybe a longer leave. Everyone also have their issues during these economic slowdown, cost cutting and also a family to look after.

CK said...

Hey man!

Woot, you have two blogs, going to read through them one of these days.

Lack of chemical huh? I will have to look up on that. Thanks.

Coongratulations to you, father-to-be! =)

Chew KW said...

I am going to close one blog down(the skink tattoo one, busines not good ma), anyway, the other one is more about compplaining and lot of vulgar words lar. I am migrating the tattoo stuffs to my other blog.
Me myslef is seeing a psychiatrist. So I know lar.
Just because I have anxiety and abit of depression and anger issues lar. Because mostly of work and money related.