11 November 2018

Nothing lasts forever


Nothing lasts forever.

So many things that are relevant, that I can associate with that statement now.

Also there are things I like to dispute that statement with, but perhaps it's a tad too philosophical and perhaps just a matter of the definition of the 'forever' time period.

I like to think my love to wifey is forever. ^_^

But anyway, this entry is about a solid object, not some emotion, feeling, or state of affair.

Got a black screen out of the sudden when I was using my gaming machine, a.k.a. home computer, a few days ago. My rudimentary debugging led me to believe the graphics card is the culprit. I was hoping it's the driver, and definitely hoping it's not the mother board or PCIe slot. 

My other computer in the house is a NUC, so I cannot test the graphics card in it to double check. Anyone willing to plug in a Sapphire Radeon Toxic R9 270X 2GB in their rig to double check for me? =)

Is it just me, or are things nowadays don't last as long as they used to? The graphics card was brand new when I built my gaming machine in 2014, so it lasted slightly shy of five years.

Gaming machine without a discrete graphics card is just... not a gaming machine!

That said, financial situation is at all time low, with way too many big expenses recently. I am definitely feeling the pinch.

And shameful to say as a self-proclaimed avid gamer, that I simply haven't been gaming all the regularly lately. No time, and no heart. I had to set a resolution for myself to play game, what has become of me?!?

Bottom line is that I cannot justify getting an expensive replacement, so I opted for the budget entry level graphics card at the moment: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

Finance minister and Purchasing Officer, a.k.a. wifey, helped me to grab the card online at midnight earlier, when the 11th of November sales started.

Until it arrives, I am using onboard graphics. Good grief!



Other |temperamental thoughts| category entries.


No comments: