07 April 2017

Facade


Written communication, unlike face to face verbal communication, is relatively emotionless, feelingless. One cannot tell the tone from just the words, hence the many smileys and emoticons to help establish the mood.

One can hide his or her true emotion and mood behind chosen words and emoticons, projecting a tone that differs to what he or she is actually feeling.

Like writing a polite e-mail to complain about a lousy service when you really just want to swear out loud.

Thinking about it, even in verbal communication we talk differently to different people. In daily interaction we show different sides of ourselves based on the people we are dealing with, the context and situation.

Sometimes we have to adopt different personality, put on a different mask, project a different image, based on what we perceived is suitable and socially acceptable.

Or simply to hide our true feelings and emotions.


It's another tiring and frustrating work day today, I got home in a down and negative mood.

Usually when I am in this kind of mood I cease social communication, as I don't want to trouble the others with my negative energy.

But something I saw on my way home made me posted in a WhatsApp group as soon as I got home, something that continues a running joke I started yesterday, so I thought I should share.

What I realised today, is that while I could be projecting a cheery and cheeky facade in one WhatsApp chat, I could also be baring my rubbish mood in another chat, at the same time.

Feel as if I have a split personality.

I guess it's because of the people. Perhaps I just don't want to be fake to close friend.



Other |sane side| category entries.


No comments: