10 May 2015

Taming the inbox


This is seriously going to hurt my slacker extraordinaire reputation, but I have just shut down my laptop a few minutes ago after spending the whole day clearing my e-mails.

I admit that I have never been able to get my inbox under control, having more than 100 unread e-mails is considered the norm, I usually have close to 200 unread e-mails.

You see, I am a hands-on practical person, not a meeting person, not a desk worker, and definitely not one who's all talk and no walk.

Being in the lab or the production floor getting my hands dirty most of my working hours means I don't have much time checking my e-mails.

So I usually dedicate Friday afternoon to clear the 'soon to expire' unread e-mails. I would clear a week's worth of unread e-mails, so the next batch of unread e-mails would expire on Saturday of next week. Repeat this exercise weekly.

This means I am usually about one to two months out of date on most e-mails... -_-

Anyway, I took a break a few weeks ago so I don't get burned out and to recover from depression. Coupled that with the crazy workload once I resumed work, my inbox has simply gone wild.

I had more than 300 unread e-mails these few weeks, so I decided it's time I tame the inbox.

Worked till late on Friday and spent the whole of Saturday clearing my e-mails, and finally got my inbox under control, with single digit of unread e-mails, left unread because they are some heavy, important stuff.

Didn't really read all the e-mails, mind. Read most, deleted many, dispositioned some.

The inbox is finally tamed! I hope it will stay this way but I doubt it.

Working overtime to clear e-mails, sad but true. -_-

  

No comments: