06 May 2011

Some people never learn


On 26th of April 2011, about 17:30 hours, shortly after the bridge toll, a dark blue Proton Wira with the license plate PDM1033 shot past me on the left and cut into the fast lane a car in front of me.

Nothing special there.

The interesting part started soon after, as throughout the distance from there to the mid point of the bridge, the driver kept on changing lanes trying to get ahead. Switching in and out of lanes, mostly failed attempts that resulted in sharp brakes to avoid collision. This happened so frequently that I started to take note and hence this entry.

All the while when the driver was changing lanes trying to get ahead, I stayed my course on the fast lane, following the car in front of me at a safe distance.

Eventually when we reached the mid point of the bridge, the Wira cut into the fast lane again for the umpteenth times. Care to guess how far ahead the driver had progressed for all the lane changing?

Zip. Nada, Nil.

The Wira ended up in the same position as when we started after the toll: a car in front of me. =D

On the down slope after the mid point, the Wira changed to the slow lane and pulled away, and I didn't see it for a while. I could not be sure, but I bet the driver was still doing the rather reckless lane changes. Probably with many failed attempts and sharp brakes as well. =P

I did saw the Wira again, right at the end of the bridge where it split to Georgetown and Gelugor/Bayan Baru. The Wira went left while I went right.

Wanna guess how far ahead the car was at that point? =)

Two cars ahead of me.

Congratulations! For all the vigorous lane changing, sharp brakes and accelerations that burned extra fuel plus putting other road users in danger, you have got ahead by ONE car after the whole length of Penang bridge!

I bet that 0.5 seconds faster was worth all that effort.

Really people, just stick to your lane and keep a safe distance, changing lanes will not get you ahead by much, if any. And done recklessly, it endangers other road users and made you look like a loser.

So why is this not in the Hall of Shame list? Yes I have a Hall of Shame where I name and shame the bad traffic offenders. I just haven't decided to post it. =P (Slacker point +1)

Well, because the driver at least had the courtesy to use signal light whenever he or she changed lane. So he or she was not the rude selfish idiotic f'ing bastard type. Probably just someone clueless and in a rush, unaware that to get somewhere fast (and safe), the trick is to not rush.


1 comment:

CK said...

Exception to the "stick to your lane" rule of thumb is when you encounter those hard neck turtles who drive, say, 60km/h on the fast lane of a 90km/h road.

These people either do not understand or simply don't care that they are obstructing the traffic. It's actually a hazzard.

When you encounter these hard neck turtles who have no intention of going into the slow lane, please by all means overtake them.

Driving way under the speed limit on a fast lane is a danger to other road users.