03 August 2009

There is no free lunch?


There is no free lunch eh?

Well, I can assure you that there is totally free lunch with no string attached, at least in monetary terms.

Never had problem asking friends around for a lunch or dinner when we were in England. They would gladly come, and at most brought along a dessert or a few bottles of soda. And we would all have a joyous time, eat and chat and perhaps play some games after.

Don't know why it just can't be like that here, why do friends here have to bring along gift or think about "paying back"?

I guess if you somehow couldn't accept genuine free lunch and really must put a "catch", or a "price" to it, then I suppose you could say that being our friend is the "price to pay". Note that I put all that in inverted commas because I believe in sharing and there is nothing wrong with treating my friends, those closer to me anyway, once in a while.

Though now I think of it, having to be my friend is perhaps a hefty cost to pay, since I am evil, muahahaahaha! Note that I said "my" this time and not "ours" since my wife is nice and goody goody. =P

I just find it, hmm, how should I put it... Joy-killing, totally uncool, ungraceful, to come to a party thrown by us bearing cash as gift. If you want to bring something that can be shared by everyone, that's cool and great. If you want to bring a small present for my son, I am cool with that too.

But money is just... so wrong.


What triggered this entry?

Well, we wanted to treat some friends of mine to lunch during Hsiang's birthday. It's purely to celebrate our son turning two, a joyous occasion that we would like the happiness shared.

I didn't want my friends to come with anything so I purposely didn't mention it being my son's birthday in the invitation. But some friends are just too damn shrewd and I saw no point in lying when asked.

I don't lie well anyway, remember this because while I am happy that friends confided in me and proud of keeping their secrets air tight, but if you wanted me to lie to cover the truth, I am extremely uncomfortable with that and it WILL show. I prefer to say I cannot tell you since it's a secret I promise to keep, or to say I don't know, than to lie. Always.

Anyway, back to that supposedly lunch on me thing. Them friends went and gave a big ang pao which totalled to more than the lunch cost.

RIDICULOUS!

What's worse? The lunch was lousy and a rushed affair, not fun and I am not please about it. Basically it's a big failure as far as I am concerned. Will never do that again.


If you don't know it by now, yes, I believe in sharing, to those worthy.

"Sorrow can take care of itself, but to get the true benefit of joy, you must share it." - Mark Twain

So, there IS free lunch. Believe it, accept it.

It just doesn't happen very often. =P

No comments: