22 June 2008

Vocabulary Lesson with CK (June 08)

Spud noun

A spud is a gardening tool similar to a narrow spade, used for cutting the roots of weeds, et cetera.

Of course if it only has that meaning, it would not be in my vocabulary lesson.

=P

A spud is also a...


image source

Wait, there's more!

The following conversation was how I came to know the word spud. It's a conversation that happened a few years ago when I was still in England, between my (then) girl friend and a female friend of ours, a British lady younger than us, married.

The ladies were talking about men, I was present but they simply ignored me and chatted as if I wasn't there.

"Some are gorgeous, some are great fun, but when it comes to getting married and settling down, it's still the plain, honest, nerdy, bookwormy type that's more secure."

"Yea, the spuds like Tim and CK."

(Oi! I am standing beside you ladies!)

So there, I am a spud.

Er... yay? =\

No comments: