28 February 2015

Reigniting old passion


Not sure why the elder son is so keen to get me to do archery with him? Not sure if it's wifey who has been asking him to say so? And not sure why wifey is keen to get me to do archery again?

But anyway, I disrespected weekend and woke up early today to do just that: went archery with the kids.

good thing tummy is not too obvious...

I am more used to 20 yards (about 18 metres), since that was the distance I mainly shot at back in the university days. But it's either 10, 25, 30, 50, 70 or 90 metres on the field today.

So I did the 25 metres, of which I had no sight level of.

Good thing I had sight levels for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 80 yards from the past, so a bit of interpolation and unit conversion got me a rough starting sight level, which wasn't too far off and after a few arrows I managed to tuned in my sight for 25 metres.

Truth is I couldn't see where my arrows hit, so I had to ask wifey and the kids shooting beside me where my arrows went and fine-tuned accordingly. Eyesight goes with age, okay? -_-

I like archery, but there are two things that bothered me today.

The first thing is that I haven't done archery for many years, so I couldn't keep up with the youngins, who shot without fail at least six arrows every round. I started with six, then reduced to three, and eventually quit when my left arm no longer responded to my will. =P

The youngins continued for many rounds, and they were shooting at 50, 70 and 90 metres...

This I can deal with, I believe my strength will return as long as I keep practising, it just takes some time.

why is there an uncle among the children?

The second thing that bothered me is, well, there is at least a 20 years age gap between me and the oldest of the other archers, and more than 30 years between me and the youngest.

It just feels weird. >_<


No comments: