26 July 2011

If you want something done...


The spreadsheet started off as my own means of tracking the combination of part A and part T that gave data D.

No such database existed so I created it. While I went around gathering the necessary information, I figured I might as well record the serial number of part M and part C since they are also components of the assembly.

The day after I have compiled my database, someone requested the data to be shared in a meeting. Well, good that I have things in order, eh?

Since then, the compilation and presentation of data D with the relevant serial numbers became part of my job.

Bah! Extra work on top of an already heavy workload. =\

Yesterday, after failing to gather the information on current inventory tracking from all who are working on the same project, I decided to create my own inventory tracking database.

I am fairly sure someone has been assigned to do the tracking but given the lack of any proper record, I figured I might as well do it myself. At least I know I will get something that I can understand.

The price is I worked till 23:00 hours yesterday night. =(

Guess what? In today's meeting, colleagues from oversea asked for an inventory list and tracking of the assembled product.

Am I clairvoyant or what? "I see dead people..." =P

"Boss" went ahead and flashed the freshly made database from yours truely. < sarcasm > See how organised we are here? < /sarcasm >

When "boss" met me in the lab later, he commented on the perfect timing of the creation of that inventory tracking database, and said he had wanted one such database since the beginning of the project.

I sniggered.

Say, if you want something done, why wait for the other to do it?

Of course, updating the inventory tracking database is now also part of my job... >_<

Two 'live' databases to update every day. Oh well, at least I know they are going to be quality stuff - my standard.

^_^


  

2 comments:

MingSze said...

两个选择。(一)说服自己相信‘能者多劳’(二)吸取教训,从现在开始实行‘大智若愚’,明哲保身。

CK said...

愚者多劳。

那些责任感太重,为了保持整队表现,和要及时交出好成绩而负起其他队员工分的愚者。

为什么我要这么笨?