21 May 2017

Strange world


Somehow, 20th of May has become a special day of celebration, especially for the Chinese population.

One that I think is just ridiculous.

Like, seriously.

Some hopeless or desperate romantic (not sure which), either with overstretching association or very bad command of Mandarin pronunciation (also not sure which), came up with the instant messaging slang 520 that is supposed to mean "I love you", because 520 is supposed to sound like the pronunciation of I love you in Mandarin.

Which they are not.

In Mandarin, the pronunciation for five is "woo", two is "err", and zero is the 'ling' in sling (silent s), while I love you in Mandarin is 'war' (with silent r) "eye" "knee".

Woo err 'ling' versus 'war' eye knee. Seriously, what the...

Oh well, people believe whatever they want to.

To me, it's just ridiculous.



Other |temperamental thoughts| category entries.


No comments: