18 June 2011

Business Trip (2)


The first one of this series can be found here.

- Dungeon crawl -

This was not a training trip, not a meeting trip, but a 'get your hands dirty' trip. I was there for one reason only: work in the floor, a.k.a. dungeon.

Trust me, I am not complaining. For I got on job training from the colleague flew in from The States. I am a lot more confident now handling any similar validation, debug or troubleshooting request compared to before the trip.

If only I had this experience before they sent me to Dungeon 2, would have settled the job in half of less the time I used.

Anyway, was in this foreign dungeon morning till late evening, including the weekend. In fact, we probably did longer hours than the supplier's employees in the first few days, including the weekend.

It paid off. We were a full four days ahead of schedule, and we didn't slow down either. We used the four days to get extra work done. Basically whatever we get done there at supplier site is workload off after the machine is shipped to our site.

Anyway, am really happy we got things done ahead of schedule and got the bonus work done as well.

Dungeon master level +1. =)

-----

- Recognition -

Funny how perspective changes.

Image, and how people think of me, used to be important. They no longer are, except to the scant few who really matter.

And I used to take myself rather seriously. I don't know since when, but I have learned not to take myself too seriously. Accepted who I am and just follow my heart. Life is better this way. =)

I don't really think much of those boastful people, simply because I truely believe that our good qualities should be affirmed by the others, not by ourselve. Else it's just bragging.

That's why saying how good I am or stating my strength in the yearly review is always the hardest part. On the other hand, stating my weakness is a breeze.

Let the others acknowledge our strengths, but always be mindful of our own weaknesses, so we can continue to grow, and be a better person.

Same with recognition of a job well done. I don't believe in those who asked for it, or hinted for it. In fact, that's just blatant infringement of the Code of Conduct. If you have done a good job, people will recognise it, it's that simple.

Well, it did come as a surprise when I received the higher level recognition for the dungeon crawling we did. It's the first time I received this level of instantaneous recognition. I guess the work must have meant quite a bit.

Well, this is just icing on the cake, for I was filled with a great sense of achievement when we got the job done ahead of schedule. That feeling is a lot more important to me.

-----

to be continued...

 

No comments: